Thursday, May 9, 2013

John C. Reilly Interviewed on The Treatment


      Hello readers in this post I will be writing about one of my personal favorite actor, comedian, and screenwriters John C. Reilly. Reilly has starred in such movie as Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby and recently the blockbuster hit Wreck It Ralph. Reilly has also had some experience working on television; Reilly was a guest on “The Simpsons”. KCRW had the pleasure to have Reilly as a guest on July 07, 2010 for the show “The Treatment”. The interview was hosted by Elvis Mitchell and was produced by Gemma Dempsey.

       John C. Reilly was KCRW studios to talk about his new film at the time “Cyrus”.  From what I learned is about an older man who meets a woman and they fall in love. The catch is that the woman has a son that is not too fond of Reilly’s character. This causes complications and other funny ordeals for the characters in the film. About Reilly personally I learned from this interview that he is a down to earth person. You get this vibe from Reilly when he states that he never thought he was big enough to be recognized or be in a creative position.  I got a friendly impression from Reilly it feels like he is easy to get along with. I also learned that he is an honest man with a catholic upbringing.
                                        
          One thing that I noticed from the interview is that Reilly is a person adapts to change. That is what I got from one of his quotes. “Honestly I’m not a self reflective person …. I see myself more as vessel for other personalities for better or for worse that’s who I am”. I think it’s noteworthy because it says a lot about Reilly. It shows how good of an actor he is because he has the ability to transform himself into the character he is playing. Reilly states that he tries his hardest to believe one hundred percent in what his character beliefs. This quote also shows that Reilly can have any personality as needed thus allowing him to take on anything.
           The second quote I feel supports the first quote I have from Reilly. “I see myself as this constantly changing thing” I find this important because it ties in with Reilly as a whole. This quote shows that Reilly is not stuck in stage he evolves and learns as his career goes on. This making Reilly a better actor and a better person. Like previously said he changes to survive as change happens around him. This quote also shows that Reilly is he here to stay as the years go on.


“If I have super objective to my work is to illuminate the human condition”. This is the third noteworthy quote from Reilly during the interview. I think it is important to know what you are doing in your art and this shows Reilly knows. At the end of the day Reilly has a goal or a point to his acting or whatever he is doing. Reilly illuminating the human condition shows his honesty. Many actors now in days make their characters look perfect in every way. That is not the case with everyday human beings and that is what Reilly sees. Reilly tries to make his characters as real as possible in every way from bad to good.
       
Overall I feel that John C. Reilly words in the interview were extremely valuable. Valuable because they were words of experience and they were words of honesty. Reilly contributes to the film world by giving the people someone they can relate too. Someone people can look and dream about making their dreams come true because Reilly exist. A regular man that made his dreams come true and kept his honesty and good heart on the way up.




No comments:

Post a Comment